Roorkee Institute of Technology, Roorkee aims at producing several eminent engineers, who are skilled, knowledgeable and can provide significant contributions in the planning and execution of civil engineering projects. Our Institute is considered to be the best civil engineering college in Uttarakhand. We are the only Institute in Uttarakhand to have an Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) Local Chapter.
In June 2021, RIT signed an MOU with "Construction Industry Development Council (CIDC)" established by The Planning Commission, Govt. of India for facilitating Internships and Skill Development.
Industrial visits and Project Site visits are arranged to give the students practical idea along with laboratory classes in Surveying, Hydraulics and Soil Engineering, Analysis and Design of Steel and Concrete Structures and Foundation Engineering. Moreover, the Institute in collaboration with Bentley Institute provides training on various softwares such as STAAD PRO , E- Tabs and many more.
The goal of the department is to do research in challenging engineering problems and provide efficient engineering solution in the various sub-disciplines of Civil Engineering. The department has strong focus in the research areas of Structural Engineering, Remote Sensing and Construction Technology and Management. The Department has Diploma and M.Tech programme in all these areas of research along with its traditional B.Tech programme in Civil Engineering, and specializations for the same.
The Department has high end teaching and research laboratories in these areas. The Department also hosts faculty development programs , sponsored research by Central Building Research Institute (CBRI) and other agencies.
Practical classes in Computer Aided Structural Analysis and Environmental Engineering are other features. In the Final year, management and maintenance of construction projects are also dealt. The students have to undertake challenging real projects individually in analysis and design of structures.
- Apply the principles of science and mathematics to provide solutions in civil engineering.
- Plan, analyze, design, execute and manage the civil engineering projects.
- Conduct field tests and experiments, interpret the results and provide solutions.
- Apply modern engineering tools and software in civil engineering.
- Carryout research and provide innovative solutions to meet the challenges in civil engineering.
- Demonstrate sensitivity towards ethical issues, environmental and societal responsibilities; display effective communication skills, life-long learning and ability to work in teams.
RIT offers B.Tech degree with specialization certification programme. The programme prepares the student according to the industrial requirement. During the four-year b.tech programme, students get the specializations in the area of their interest and the requirement of the market for the placements. The certification is offered in the following areas-
- B.Tech. CE with Auto CAD
- B.Tech. CE with REVIT
- B.Tech. CE with Project cost analysis
- B.Tech. CE with Tendering
- B.Tech. CE with Award and execution of work
- B.Tech. CE with CPM and PERT
- B.Tech. CE with Solid works
- Construction Manager
- Planning Engineer
- Quality Control Engineer
- Project Manager
- Planning consultant
- Site Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Quantity Estimator and Surveyor
- Building Design Engineer
- Infrastructure Maintenance Engineer
- Infrastructure Planning Engineer
- Consultant for Infrastructure Projects
- Contractor/Professional Builder
- Design Engineer for Bridges, Roads, Airports and SEZs
Nearly all civil engineering companies require workforce with efficient management skills. Some of these include: AECOM, Gammon Infrastructure Projects Ltd., LANCO Group, Nagarjuna Construction company, Tata Projects Ltd., Continental Construction Corp. Ltd., GVK Group, L&T Engineering & Construction Division, Hindustan Construction Company (HCC), GMR, Jaypee Group.
- Advance Construction Materials
- Slope Stability Analysis
- Building Foundation Design
- Construction Quality Audit
- Dams & Reservoirs
- Inelastic seismic analysis of six storey RC building
- Study of canvas concrete in civil engineering works
- Study of mix design of self compacting concrete
- Sheer strength behavior of recycled coarse aggregate
- Recycled concrete aggregates
- An experimental investigation of self curing concrete incorporated with polyethylene glycol as self curing agent
- Comparison of strength characteristics of self cured concrete
- Seismic analysis of symmetric RC frame with AAC and masonry infill using response spectrum method
- Influence of masonry infill walls on seismic performance of RC Framed structures- a comparison of AAC and conventional brick infill
- Effect of waste marble powder replacement on workability of self-compacting concrete
- Economical and effective seismic retrofitting techniques of existing structures.
- Effect of nano-silica on the compressive strength of concrete.
- Study on mechanical properties of cement with rice husk ash.
- Study of fiber reinforced concrete by using glass fiber.
- Dynamic stability of de-laminated cross ply composite plates and shells
- Flexible behavior of blast furnace slag concrete.
- Inelastic seismic analysis of six story RC building.
- Mechanical behavior of smart concrete.
- Temperature effect on concrete bridge.
Proposed Industrial Visits
- Pathri Power House
- Tehri Dam, Uttarakhand
- IIT, Roorkee
- CBRI, Roorkee
- ONGC, Dehradun
- NTPC, Panipat
Diploma – Civil Engineering
B Tech – Civil Engineering
M Tech – Structural Engineering and Construction
Head of Department
Prof. Ajay Singh
M.S.(TO), MIE(I), CE(I)
Research Experience: 34 Years in Central Building Research Institute (CBRI), Roorkee Teaching Experience: 6 Years International and National Research Papers: 19 Published No of Research Projects: 16 Memberships of Professional Bodies: Member of The Institution of Engineers (India), Charted Engineer of The Institution of Engineers (India), Ex Member of Various Civil Engineering Sectional Committees of Bureau of Indian StandardsDetails